Friday, October 23, 2015

Near the Peak of Fall Color in Northeast Ohio

For various reasons, Northeast Ohio is one of the most beautiful places in the world for fall color. This is especially true a little south of the lake, in Cuyahoga, Lake, Geauga, and Ashtabula Counties. These areas have wonderful forests of sugar maple, beech, red maple, tulip poplar, black gum (tupelo), sassafras, hickory, etc. These trees give you yellows, oranges, reds, and all sort of combinations and intermediate shades. I guess the colors are a product of our tree species, soils, and weather. Below are some photos from this morning and the past week.

Red maple, with pin oak in the background (my yard, Chardon)

Blueberry bush (my yard, Chardon)

Some sort of hickory (Penitentiary Glenn)

American beech (Penitentiary Glenn)

Sugar maple

Black gum/tupelo

Sugar maple
Sugar maple in my front yard

Trees behind my house in Hambden/Chardon

No comments: