Friday, June 11, 2021

Magnificat for My Birthday--Poem

 


'Magnificat' on My 73rd Birthday


Let my soul reflect the greatness of God,

The Goodness of Mary, Jesus, the saints and prophets--

Some of whom I've known very well, Deo Gratias!


Thank you for my "own precious life"

And the blessed lives of my family and friends.


May I live up to their kindness

May I live up to their goodness!


I think of my Mom and Dad,

Precious family and friends gone,


But with their lights still burning in my heart--

Let the light and love persist!


Deo Gratias, Go Raibh Maith Agaibh,

Herzlichen Dank, ¡Gracias!


Thank You!


          Bob Coughlin / June 11, 2021


[I think of the "Magnificat" as the greatest song of Thanksgiving. Here's my little version for my 73rd birthday. The phrase "own precious life" is from the poetry of Mary Oliver. I can't tell you how many people, living and dead, came to mind as I wrote this little poem. The ending is in Latin, Irish, German, Spanish . . . and English.]


No comments: