Thursday, January 6, 2022

A Poem In Irish, with English Translation. And with Humorous Endings from a Friend

 If I Forgot


Má rinne mé dearmad 

A rá leat 

Go bhfuil grá agam duit

Inniú, bhuel. . .


If I forgot

To tell you 

That I love you

Today, well . . .


BC / December 31, 2021



Some suggestions from Kathleen for different ways this poem could end:



I just forgot.


Get over it.


You forgot to tell me, also.


That’s an omen of impending doom.


I’m a schmuck.


My love for you is beyond words.


Your beauty silences me.


My head was elsewhere.


It’s because I don’t.


I’m tired of saying it with no response from you.


I don’t want to be repetitive.


I hate public signs of affection.


I really don’t like you at all.



When I wrote this little poem, I knew it didn't have an ending (or had an ambiguous ending), but I thought it still might work. The person you showed it to would probably fill in the appropriate ending, I thought. Anyway, I don think this exactly worked based on some feedback I got. When I showed it to my friend Kathleen, who knows "cúpla focal" (a couple of words or more) of Irish, she supplied me with a list of funny ways to end this poem, which I have posted above.


No comments: