Monday, January 7, 2019

New Year's Resolution: Build a New World!

New Year’s Resolution

When I awoke New Year’s Day,
I picked up my fiddle and tried to think of a good tune to begin the year.

An old song popped into my mind.
The Seekers, an Australian folk group, 1965,
“I’ll Never Find Another You.”

It was the first line that jumped out to me:
“There’s a new world somewhere . . .”
That’s what I want, that’s what we’ll work for.

Let’s dedicate this year to creating a new world,
of justice and truth, fighting for those who have so little,
those on the margins, on the frontiers.

And like the authors of the American Declaration of Independence,
let us pledge our lives, our fortunes,
and our sacred honor to this task.

The lies, the darkness, the astonishing mean-spiritedness--
they’ve had their day. And it’s done.

A New World is come.

Bob Coughlin / January 6, 2019, Feast of the Epiphany

No comments: