Monday, April 14, 2014

Breaking the Bavarian Purity Law--the "Reinheitsgebot" / Making Beer

This afternoon I made beer with my two sons-in-law, Ed Kleppel and Brian Homan, at a place called The Brew Kettle in Strongsville, Ohio. We decided to make a Czech Pilsner-type beer, similar to the great beer called "Pilsner Urquel." The process was very interesting and took about 2 and a half hours. It involved boiling bags of barley mash (like gigantic tea bags), adding malt extract, several types of hops in a certain order, and a secret clarifying agent--and boling all this stuff for a couple hours. The clarifying agent probably violated the Bavarian Purity Law or Reinheitsgebot (of 1487 or 1516). All I can say is, "Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa!" I am guilty and I am sorry!
Violating the Purity Law--I felt so dirty!
It was great fun doing all this with Ed and Brian. We will come back on May 10th to bottle this beer, which Ed has named "Christmas Present Pilsner." Between the three of us we will have about 70 22-ounce bottles.
Ed and Brian

The Brew Crew

No comments: