Friday, September 7, 2012

Lots of Coyotes in Chardon and Hambden Townships!

Last Monday morning, Linda said, "Look! There's a wolf in the backyard!" I ran to the window, grabbed my camera, and took a couple photos of a very large canine stalking a cottontail about a hundred feet from my house. My brother Kevin identified it as a coyote, rather than a wolf (a wild wolf hasn't been seen in these parts in a long long time!).

Last evening I told some of my neighbors walking their dogs (and one couple taking their tiny three-month-old son for a stroll) about the coyote sighting. They told me three other neighbors have seen coyotes lately. One saw 2 coyotes together; another saw 3 together; a third person saw a pack of 4 coyotes together! Some of these animals have been caught on neighborhood security cameras.

I'm starting to feel that Chardon and Hambden Townships are more dangerous than my daughter's territory in Montana (the Bob Marshall Wilderness). Carolan just has an occasional grizzly or cougar to deal with; we have packs of wild coyotes!

Here are my coyote photos:


No comments: