Friday, December 29, 2017

(Grand-) Child of Mine--Happy Birthday Robby!

Tomorrow is my grandson Robby Kleppel's 4th birthday. I can't tell you how much I love him! Robby is so smart, so much fun--an energetic intellectual and emotional and physical whirlwind. In some ways I think of him as my own son--maybe that's the way grandparents always feel. His mother (my daughter Julia) and his father (Ed Kleppel) have done such a marvelous job raising him. And I guess Robby should himself get some credit for raising his parents--and grandparents.

Robby is full of so many wonderful enthusiasms. He loves his family, he loves his uke and guitar, he loves his grandparents, he loves his trains and trucks, his diggers and excavators (and he is quick to point out--a "digger" is not necessarily an "excavator"). And Robby is amazingly smart. Not yet four, he is deft and precise with language. And his brain is like a sponge (just like his older brother Colin and his baby sister Ava).

It has been such a blessing to be a grandparent to Robby, Colin, Ava--and now, Baby Lillian. I am so full of gratitude and wonder.

Here is a song by the folksinger Bill Staines that expresses some of what I feel about Robby, the day before his fourth birthday:



Robby with his new "Gorny Pig," Mr. Smiles.


4 comments:

Dypteron said...

Thank you for the wonderful blog. I am wondering if you can help me by posting a request to your following. I am trying to get a copy of Ernest & Marion Bromley's book "Letters from Caroline". I am desperate to read this, having met and become inspired and transformed by Caroline and Ernest in the early 70's. The book can only be found as a "rare book" at 3 libraries: Wilmington College, Denver public library and the Cincinnati public library. Their copies cannot be lent and must be read on the premises. If anyone has a copy they are willing to loan me, I would be deeply grateful. Thank you all! -Gary Davis, St. Louis

View from the North Coast said...

"dypteron," I wish I could help you! I once had a copy of that poignant book, but I'm sure it's lost now. Caroline Bromley was such a beautiful person, in every way. And what can you say about our great heroes Ernest and Marion? Why don't you try to contact Bonnie Tompkins or Peggy Scherer in Cincinnati. Maybe they have copies of that book. They both still live in Cincinnati and are occasionally on Facebook. Good luck!

Dypteron said...

Thank you, Bob! I will do my best to track Bonnie and Peggy down. At the point I am in life, it may well be worth a long trip to simply read her thoughts and feelings. My complete and overwhelming gratitude to Ernest, Caroline, and you. Pax. -GD

Gary Davis said...

The kindness of friends of the Bromley's, I have secured a copy of the book. Thank you for everyone's help on this! BTW, I found in the old photo you posted a number of the people I met in the WRL workshop convened by the Bromleys in 1970. I must say, though, it saddened me to know how many of those people of conviction are no longer with us.