Thursday, February 11, 2016
Petitions/Prayer of the Faithful for February 14, 2016
Here are the petitions Ellen McHugh worked up for February 14th for St. Mary's Church in Painesville, Ohio.
Prayer of the Faithful for February 14, 2016
First Sunday of Lent
Celebrant: Trusting in the mercy and love of our God who walked among the poor, the vulnerable and the outcast, we voice our own petitions, asking for what we need, and for the needs of our sisters and brothers here and around the world, saying, “Lord, help us to be instruments of your peace.”
· As we begin our Lenten journey, may we be inspired by the message of Rice Bowl: that our fasting be a hunger for justice, our almsgiving a making of peace, and our prayers the change of humble and grateful hearts. We pray to the Lord.
· We ask for God’s help to put our faith into action; we pray for religious and lay ministers who work to end violations of human dignity, who give voice to those who go unheard, who help those who are most vulnerable. We pray to the Lord.
· For our community gathered here—that the support we give to the Missions today may bring us all into communion and fellowship with our sisters and brothers here and around the world. We pray to the Lord.
· With the strength that comes from the Holy Spirit, lead us back to the way of holiness, give us the courage to acknowledge our sinfulness, protecting us from sin that wounds ourselves and others. We pray to the Lord.
We pray that in our daily lives we may experience this Lenten season as peacemakers, quick to hear and listen, slow to speak, and slow to anger. Let our words always speak your truth with compassion. We pray to the Lord.
· And for those for whom this Mass is offered [name them]. We pray to the Lord.
· Let us pause now and silently offer to the Father our own particular intentions [allow for silence. . .]. We pray to the Lord.
Celebrant: Merciful God, as you answer our prayers, give us the faith and hope we need in this life; help us to be faithful stewards of your mercy; help us to grow in your love which lasts forever. We ask this through Christ our Lord. Amen.