Celebrant: As we celebrate our coming together for the Eucharist, let us, dear sisters and brothers, approach the one God to voice all our needs.
- When we feel weak and discouraged, let us remember the Lord’s words to St. Paul, “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness.” We pray to the Lord.
- Help us to keep in mind how Jesus’ own prophetic words were disdained by his kin and his neighbors; help us, like Jesus, to live a prophetic witness in spite of this treatment. We pray to the Lord.
- On this weekend when we celebrate our country, help us keep in mind these words from “America the Beautiful”: “America! America! God shed his grace on thee. And crown thy good with brotherhood From sea to shining sea!” We pray to the Lord.
- And in this time of hatred and violence, help us remember these lines from that same song: “America! America! God mend thine every flaw, Confirm thy soul in self-control, Thy liberty in law!” We pray to the Lord.
- That our churches and neighborhoods be havens of safety and peace from the violence and hatred we have seen lately.
- That all may share in the promise and prosperity of America. We pray to the Lord.
Let us pause now and silently offer to the Father our own particular intentions [...allow for silence...]. We pray to the Lord.
Celebrant: Father, we believe that you will hear and respond to our sincere prayers, asked in the name of your Son, and in the power of your Spirit, one God, forever and ever. Amen.