Saturday, December 20, 2014
Petitions/Prayer of the Faithful--for Christmas 2014
For the past seven months I have had the privilege of writing the petitions (Prayer of the Faithful) for my church, St. Mary's in Painesville, Ohio. Below are the petitions I prepared for Christmas (with some help from Krista Zivkovich).
Celebrant: As we celebrate the Nativity of our merciful Lord, Jesus Christ, let us, dear sisters and brothers, approach the one God to voice all our needs.
· Isaiah writes, “For Zion’s sake I will not be silent, for Jerusalem’s sake I will not be quiet.” Let us shout out the justice and hope the newborn Jesus brings to us and the world.
· “We who have walked in the darkness have seen a great light.” Help us share the light of the world with our family, neighbors, and world. We pray to the Lord.
· When Mary and Joseph journeyed to Bethlehem, they had to reside in a manger, a shelter for animals. Let us always welcome and prepare room for the stranger and the grace that Jesus brings. We pray to the Lord.
· Today we know for sure that “the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.” Let this light shine into the souls of the sorrowing and suffering. We pray to the Lord.
· Bless all babies and children this Christmas season. Let them experience the love and security of family and community. We pray to the Lord.
· Let peace reign on this earth this Christmas! We pray to the Lord
· and for those for whom this mass is offered [name them]. We pray to the Lord.
Let us pause now and silently offer to the Father our own particular intentions [...allow for silence...]. We pray to the Lord.
Celebrant: Father, we have hope that you will be moved to hear and respond to our sincere prayers, for they are asked in the name of your generous Son, whose birth we celebrate, and in the power of your Spirit, one God, forever and ever. Amen.