The Seven Corporal Works of Mercy
- To feed the hungry.
- To give drink to the thirsty.
- To clothe the naked.
- To harbour the harbourless. (also loosely interpreted today as To Shelter the Homeless)
- To visit the sick.
- To visit the imprisoned (classical term is "To ransom the captive")
- To bury the dead.
The Seven Spiritual Works of Mercy
- To instruct the ignorant.
- To counsel the doubtful.
- To admonish sinners.
- To bear wrongs patiently.
- To forgive offences willingly.
- To comfort the afflicted.
- To pray for the living and the dead.