Recently RJ Sigmund, in his weekly digest of fracking issues, discussed the danger of fracking to fresh water supplies. Sigmund states:
- • Of the first 1,031 Utica and Marcellus shale wells drilled, FracFocus listed the amount of water used to frack 662.
- • Water use for all 1,031 wells could approach 6.7 billion gallons, based on average water-use rates per county.
- • Chesapeake Energy used 2 billion gallons on 411 reported wells.
- • Three wells in Ohio topped 17 million gallons.
- • Average water usage was 6.1 million gallons.
- • Fracking could consume more than 10 billion gallons of water if all current well permits are drilled.
- • Some wells used more water than what drillers estimated on permit applications.
Jean Ritchie sings "Black Waters" in the following video: