Sunday, December 1, 2013

"Sweet Baby James"--Great Song for the 1st of December



I always think about this beautiful tune on the 1st of December. The song includes the lines "The First of December was covered with snow / So were the turnpikes from Stockbridge to Boston /And the Berkshires seemed dreamlike on account of that frosting / With ten miles behind me and 10, 000 more to go."

I would think of these lines when I was hitchhiking around America 40 years ago, just starting out on a journey. And now I think, for James Taylor and the likes of me, that it's 10,000 miles behind me and 10 miles left to go. It's been a great trip. And that's life. And I am grateful.

Postscript: This song, and James Taylor in general, make me think of the Gerrity brothers, Marty and Mike, who brought the Sweet Baby James album to Notre Dame and introduced us to this great artist.

No comments: