Monday, September 10, 2012

James Taylor in Charlotte

It was 1969 or 1970 that Marty Gerrity (Mike's brother) came to the University of Notre Dame with albums of James Taylor. The beautiful and intelligent music was a revelation and the beginning of my interest and affection for JT's artistry. Surely he is one of the great singer-songwriters and performers of our generation.

Last week he performed in Charlotte. His words were very funny and his music was beautiful, singing "In My Mind I'm Going to Carolina, " "You've Got a Friend," and "How Sweet It Is to be Loved by You."

In his remarks he has a retort to Clint Eastwood and his talking-to-a-chair speech; and he has a remark about "old white guys." Being one myself, I enjoyed this remark.

James Taylor's music brings a tear to the eye for all it has meant to me during my life.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Saw him with Carole King here in St. Louis last year. The low hum of the crowd singing along ( myself included) was pretty amazing.