Friday, September 30, 2011

What Happened to Euclid's "Mt. Baldy"?

When I was a kid, Euclid had one mountain--"Mt. Baldy." This mountain was somewhere between Highland Road and Chardon Road (US Route 6), about a quarter mile south of Euclid Avenue, US Route 20. I'm guessing Harms Road dead ended near the peak of this landmark.

Last Sunday I attended 9:30 mass at Lourdes Shrine, the beautiful and historic grotto off Chardon Road hill (just south of Euclid Avenue). After mass I drove up Highland Road to the Euclid Creek Park road that winds through a narrow valley, ending up at Green Road in South Euclid (by the way, it ends where the village of Bluestone once stood; here the beautiful slabs of Euclid Bluestone were quarried by some of my Irish ancestors).

Anyway, on my drive I couldn't see Mt. Baldy. Where had it gone? A mountain can't just disappear, can it? I used to be able to see Mt. Baldy from St. Joe's High School on Lake Erie. Something that prominent can't just disappear.

My best guess is that Mt. Baldy got some Rogaine treatments or transplants--in other words, vegetation has regrown on that once-barren hilltop and cliff. And now Mt. Baldy has transformed into Mt. Hairy. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

1 comment:

Neven said...

It is still there, I found a private trail which took me to the top yesterday. It has grown more vegetation as you state, but there is still a bare rocky section from the top of the hill (west end of the hill) going down to the creek. It is actually NOT inside of the Euclid Creek Reservation, but east of it, across the Highland Road from where the Euclid Creek Parkway ends at the highland road. It is NOT really visible from the parkway, but it might be from one of the parking lots or baseball courts south of the parkway. It is definitely visible from the Highland road (looking east) right as the highland hill gets steep.