Saturday, July 16, 2011

Happy Birthday, Carolan!

Today is my daughter Carolan's birthday. I remember so clearly that day in the mid 1980's when we drove from Berea, Kentucky, to Central Baptist Hospital in Lexington--and in the middle of the night (at least that's how I remember it!)-- there she was born, naturally, no anaesthetic. And to me, it seemed, the birth was so easy (I guess you might say, "That's easy for you to say!"). Linda was so happy, so energetic that she wanted to call all her family and friends and announce the good news. I said, "Sweetie, the rest of the world is still asleep! Let's wait a few hours." But it wasn't long before the good news was spread. I received a letter or phone call congratulating us on the birth of "Carmen." That was the working name until she made her appearance. She didn't look like a Carmen! She looked like a Carolan, named after the great Irish harpist, whose music is still celebrated and played throughout the world. A unique name for a unique girl.

These days (and today!) Carolan is working on Cotton Creek in the Sangre de Cristo Wilderness, building, maintaining, and repairing trails, along with her co-leader and her crew from the Southwest Conservation Corps. These folks are the hardest working people in America, living in tents in the wilderness, carrying in their handtools, getting their water in the creeks (they filter it, of course), and doing hard, physical labor 10 hours per day for 9 straight days. These are among America's best young people, and I'm so proud that Carolan is their leader.

My message to Carolan is this: Happy Birthday, Sweetheart! I love you, we love you. We are very proud of you.

Lá Breithe Shona Dhuit, a Carolan! Maith Thú!

No comments: