Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Climbing Ireland's Holy Mountains

Next summer I intend to climb two of Ireland's holy mountains, Mount Brandon (in Irish-Gaelic, Cnoc Bréanainn), the holy mountain of St. Brendan on the Dingle Peninsula of County Kerry; and Croagh Patrick (in Irish-Gaelic, Cruach Phádraig), the holy mountain of St. Patrick near the County Mayo town of Westport.

Below is a youtube video of the climbing of Croagh Patrick on "Reek Sunday," the last sunday of July--an old Irish tradition:



The two holy mountains are not high by Rocky Mountain standards. Croagh Patrick is 2507 feet in elevation; Mount Brandon is 3123 in elevation. The highest mountain peak in Ireland, Carrauntouhil, is only 3406 feet. But these mountains look impressive from below, and they will offer me a considerable challenge considering my age and conditioning.

When I climb Croagh Patrick I will keep in mind that plenty of very old ladies climb it--and some climb it barefoot, as a form of penance. I am competitive enough that I won't quit the climb if I see a little old barefoot lady next to me persisting up to the church atop Croagh Patrick!

No comments: