Saturday, February 26, 2011

New Poem

“I Feel Like I’m 27 Again!”
(for Linda Rose)

She said, a tear in her eye,
My own blinded by tears
As we waltzed to the old Gaelic tune, “Eoghanaín Ó Ragadáin,”
Right there in the kitchen, middle of Saturday morning chores,

And knowing just a bit about the meaning of the Irish words,
Sung by Mairéad Ni Mhaonaigh, but understanding so perfectly

The great sweetness, longing, and ache
Of this music. The chorus came round and Mairéad sang out,
“Mo Rún! Mo Rún!

And I knew what that meant!
“My love! My love!” I’ve known that
These 34 years . . . .

And as the waltz and song ended,
You said, “I feel like I’m 27 again!”

(And to me you’ll always be 27,
The most beautiful thing this boy has ever seen,
And I will always be 29,
Walking you, Mo Rún, Mo Stór,
My Love, My Treasure,
Down the aisle at St. George’s.)

Robert M. Coughlin
February 26, 2011
Chardon, Ohio