Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The Death of a Great Woman--7 Years Ago Today

Seven years ago today, my mother, Margaret Ann Fitzpatrick Coughlin, passed away. She had just been blessed and given last rights by a Catholic priest at Lake West Hospital, and with her family around, she breathed her last, and, we believe, entered eternal life.

My brothers Denny, Kevin, and Jim, and my sister Mary Ellen, and all Mom's grandchildren, relatives, and friends cannot put into words what she meant to us. I wish my Dad were still alive so that he could express what she meant to him. Mom was not famous, her outward accomplishments were modest--but to our lives and our hearts, she was central, most important, most beloved. She gave us her unconditional love, her happy Irish spirit, her love for family, her love for life--she gave us everything important. It is my deepest wish that we can share in that vibrant, living spirit, pass it on to our children and grandchildren, our friends and acquaintances.

Thanks, Mom. We forever bless you and you forever bless us!

No comments: