Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Farewell to Mike Celizic

I just received word that Mike Celizic, my old friend, has passed away. I didn't really believe it when I learned from Mike himself last month that he had but weeks to live. Mike was a vital life force, full of fierce energy. It's hard to think of that as ever ending, dying. But Mike is gone and we are left to honor him and celebrate his life and work.

Mike was a proud Croation-American, from the Painesville, Ohio area (Leroy Township, to be exact). He grew up about 20-25 miles from my home in Euclid, Ohio. If you visit Leroy, you will pass Celizic Road, named for his family, and Capp's Tavern, formerly owned by his family. About five miles north is St. Mary's School, where Mike got his grade school education, and Riverside High School, where he played football and got a solid base for his education at the University of Notre Dame (that's where I met him). Not far from St. Mary's and Riverside were the offices of the Painesville Telegraph, Mike's first job after college, where the stage was set for his illustrious career in journalism. I'm guessing there are many friends and relatives in the Painseville/Greater Cleveland area in mourning today with the news of Mike's passing.

Mike wrote some seven books (how he did this in addition to his regular journalism activities I don't know). My daughters all read "Rudy's Rules," co-authored by Mike and Rudy Ruettiger, the famous Notre Dame walk-on football player (and now motivational speaker). My favorite book of Mike's was "The Biggest Game of Them All: Notre Dame, Michigan State, and the Fall of 1966."

Mike is in the Painseville/Riverside Hall of Fame (I nominated him and helped induct him).

There is a beautiful obituary of him at the following site:
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/38832689/ns/sports/

Rest in Peace, Mike.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nice appreciation, Bob. When I talked to him a few weeks ago, he said that one positive thing about his illness was that finally he was hearing from the readers who LIKED him! I'm so glad his ND friends got a chance to call and say goodbye. He was very brave there at the end--I am lost in admiration.
Mike Gerrity