Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Margaret Ann Fitzpatrick Coughlin--Born 86 Years Ago Today

[ Photo: My Mother on her wedding day, August 1947. Mom and Dad were married at Immacualte Conception Church in Willoughby, Ohio]

Today would have been my mother's 86th birthday. She was born on November 10th, 1923, to John Francis Fitzpatrick and Margaret Ann Sullivan Fitzpatrick, their sixth and last child. Mom first lived on E. 169th Street near Grovewood, not far from Euclid Beach Park. I'm not sure of the date, but probably in the early 1930's the family moved to Tarrymore, just off Neff Road, a couple blocks from Lake Erie. So Mom spent her infancy and childhood right near the lake. In fact, she spent almost the entire 80 years of her life within, say, a mile and a half of the Lake. First in Cleveland; then after her marriage to my Dad in 1947, in Willoughby-on-the-Lake (Windermere, near Lost Nation Boulevard and Lakeshore Boulevard); and then in 1951 in Euclid (East 266th Street). The last year of her life was spent in Mentor at my brother Kevin's house. She died peacefully on December 8th, 2003, surrounded by her children and many of her grandchildren, not long after receiving the Last Rites of the Church.

I cannot express or explain how important my Mother was (and is) to my life. I just know that she was central. I am eternally grateful that she was my Mother. I thank God for that great blessing. I still pray for her and for her entire crazy family, myself included. Eternal rest grant unto to her, O Lord. And perpetual light shine upon her!

No comments: