Thursday, April 23, 2009

Beautiful Irish Singers: Heidi Talbot and Mairéad Ní Mhaonaigh

There's something about a beautiful female voice that affects me so deeply. I'm reminded of Walt Whitman's reaction to operatic voices (in Walt's case, I think the attraction was to male voices). Somehow, the voice, the power of song, goes straight to the heart, straight to the soul. I find that the great American folksinger Judy Collins does that to me. And certainly the great Irish singers Mairéad Ní Mhaonaigh of Altan and Heidi Talbot, formerly of Cherish the Ladies, do that. Recently I listened to the album Woman of the House by Cherish the Ladies. A song that Heidi sings on that CD, "The Green Fields of Canada," will touch your heart. It's the amazing combination of great lyrics, beautiful tune, and beautiful performance. There is almost nothing like it in the world.

Maith thú! Mairéad and Heidi!

No comments: