Wednesday, February 4, 2009

How do you pronounce the name "Coughlin"?

Why did you ask me that? That's a tough one!

First of all, people who don't know any Coughlin's and telemarketers almost always pronounce this name incorrectly--and it drives me crazy! But I guess I should cut them some slack because it's just plain complicated and problematic--the pronunciation of the name Coughlin. Even in my own family I hear three different pronunciations: /COCK-lin; COG-lin; and CAWG-lin/. I think in my own lifetime I myself have pronounced this name in these three different ways!

My grandfather, Cornelius F. Coughlin (known as "Connie"), 1889-1960, was unambiguous about the pronunciation of his name. It was /COCK-lin/ period! That's how his father and grandfather, both born in West County Cork, Ireland pronounced it. The West-Cork angle is important and I hope to discuss it later.

In the summer of 1978, Linda and I traveled to Ireland for the first time. In Cork City, capital of what some call "The People's Republic of Cork," we found accommodations at a Bed & Breakfast and my first order of business was to ask the lady of the house how my name is pronounced. She immediately became flustered, hemmed and hawed, and finally said something like /CAWL-lin/. I couldn't believe it and thought she must have misunderstood me. I was later to discover that in Ireland itself there are probably 3 or 4 different (and I'd guess you'd say correct) ways of pronouncing my name. Indeed, in Cork City /CAWL-lin/ is a common pronunciation. You can also hear things like /COG-lin/, /CA-huh-lin/, and /COCK-lin/. The spelling of the name varies greatly too. In Irish-Gaelic, the name is spelled Cochláin. In English, the spelling can be Coghlin, Coghlan, Coughlin, Coughlan, Coholan, and probably a half dozen other ways. We must remember that names began in an oral culture, and these names in an oral Irish-Gaelic culture. Translating Irish sounds to English spellings is not all that easy; there are Irish sounds that don't exist in the English language. There are some fairly consistent transliterations (the Gaelic "ch" usually becomes the English "gh" spelling, for example), but there are inconsistencies galore. One complicating factor is the nature of Irish-Gaelic itself. There is no one homogenized standard; rather, Irish is an assembly of related dialects, and pronunciations can vary significantly from one region to the next. So an Irish "ch" spelling (which often becomes "gh" in English), can vary in pronunciation from a /k/ sound, to a sound like the "ch" in the German word Nacht, to an /h/ sound. And it can almost disappear as a sound. If you know someone with the last name spelled "Dougherty," you might pronounce it in many different ways, and the same holds true in Ireland.

One important thing to remember is that often in Ireland you can tell where someone comes from by the way they pronounce their last name. And the pronunciation /COCK-lin/ is a West Cork pronunciation--an important clue in our genealogical research.

When people with my last name came to America, things changed again (this is not true just for Coughlin's! Think about what happened to the Przybylski's! Some of these Polish immigrants had their name changed to something like "Shibilski," almost totally losing the Polish root and spelling!). These spelling changes can seem like losses, but you could also look at them as simple markers, trail clues--almost like the minute changes in DNA that track evolution.

In America, some people see the name Coughlin and try to pronounce it with our American-English phonics rules. They see the word cough in the name and pronounce the "gh" digraph with an /f/ sound. This drives me crazy, but ironically many American Coughlin's pronounce their name in that manner, including the famous football coach for the New York Giants, Tom Coughlin. This pronunciation puts priority of spelling and current American phonics rules over the longer oral tradition for the pronunciation of the name. Ironically, when I listen to sports announcers say the name of Tom Coughlin, it actually sounds pretty close to the Irish pronunciation, especially when they don't overemphasize the /f/ phoneme. Still, I must admit, I do not like this pronunciation of my name. It feels like a betrayal.

Many other Coughlin's in America pronounce their name /COG-lin/ or /CAWG-lin/. This probably is a compromise pronunciation (or maybe the only pronunciation many people have ever known). It takes some dogged determination to constantly correct people to keep away from the /KAUF-lin/ pronunciation. In America I've never heard the /CAWL-in/ pronunciation, but I occasionally hear the West-Cork /COCK-lin/ pronunciation. I have a feeling that it is hard to persevere in this pronunciation because people simply can't make the connection between a /k/ sound and the "gh" digraph in America. And secondly, I wonder if people worry about using a syllable that sounds like an American curse word. My grandfather and my Dad and my Uncle Bill didn't seem to worry about that--they said /COCK-lin/, and Uncle Bill, at age 85, still does say that. Most cousins seem to say /COG-lin/ or /CAWG-lin/. And that is the pronunciation I have heard when referring to the great American Olympic swimmer Natalie Coughlin. That's also how I've heard sports announcers refer to the great Irish distance runner, Eamonn Coghlan--/COG-lin/. I don't know if Mr. Coghlan pronounces his name that way himself.

One final note. The name Coughlin, which in Irish Gaelic is written Cochláin, apparently comes from the Irish word cochal, which means "hood, sheath, or cowl." I like to think we are descendants from monks, who, for a while at least, abandoned celibacy. One odd thing is that a Cork City pronunciation of Coughlin is /cowl-in/ and the name itself comes from a word meaning "cowl."

So that's more than you wanted to know about the name Coughlin!

18 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, my maiden name is Coughlin and now I'm just confused!

:)

My family has always pronounced it "Cog-lin" until my parents went to see my Dad's family in Ballylongford (?) and learned that his descendants spell it "Coughlan" and it should be pronounced "Coch-lan." But I still say "Cog-lin" because I fear I sound too fancy if I say it the "right" way.

Anything, though, is better than COFF-lin!!

Frank Provasek said...

From a 1939 broadcast of Father Coughlin, the radio priest, his studip announer introducced him as COG-lin.

Listen to sample here

http://www.otrcat.com/father-coughlin-p-1253.html

Jim Coughlin said...

Thanks for the discussion! I pronounce it the way my father and grandfather pronounced it, I don't know who made the change, but I'm afraid it's been the dreaded Coff-lin for over a hundred years!

--Jim Coughlin

Nikevich said...

I was about to send a note to the NY Times about the spelling of the notorious Father Coughlin's name. I've seen comments throughout the decades (I'm 74) that say it is correctly spelled "Coghlin". Well, after doing an Amazon book search, and finding more than one biography with it spelled "Coughlin", I realize that those attempts at correction were wrong.

Your article is quite interesting; I'm a dilettante linguist and fan of Gaelic spellings. (I haven't learned the rules, though.)

In the future, I'll avoid saying "Cofflin"!

Best regards,
[nb]

Anonymous said...

Hello, I'm a bit confused as well... Our family now spells Coughlin - Coghlan.
I just found out they dropped the u and changed the I into an a... So confused, we're from Ireland as well. But even when they were here they didn't change it until 1950ish.

bed and breakfast in blarney said...

Enjoyed studying this, very good stuff.

Unknown said...

I'm a Coughlin.

View from the North Coast said...

How do you pronounce your last name, Elizabeth Anne? By the way, my great grandmother was Lizzie/Elizabeth Coughlin (nee "Ierg"--born in Germany).

Bob C.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for an interesting post and an interesting blog.
I'm a Coughlin who has travelled to Ireland many times and I have had the very same conversations and observations about the pronunciation of the name.
In my life here in the USA, I have found that the Coughlin (cofflin) is overwhelmingly the predominate variant here in the US. Interestingly, it's the overwhelming variant in the UK too. You suggest an American reason for this while I suggest a British reason for this. I think it was British phonetic rules at play (which by extension are often American rules too). Keep in mind that nearly every Coughlan from Cork (county or city) who emigrated had his name recorded on a ship's manifest by a British steamship employee. This British spelling was what the US immigration officials saw and the British pronunciation was what he heard as he ticked down the manifest list with the steamship employee sitting right beside him. I think that is the root of the 'A' to 'I' change and it explains why A is so common in Ireland while I is so common in America.
Pronouncing ough as off is British English in origin. Pronouncing ough as ock is Irish language in origin and clearly explains the Cock-Lan that is so prominent in West Cork. Everybody knows the Scottish word for lake as Loch (lock) due to the fame of the Loch Ness Monster. Fewer people know the Irish word for lake as Lough (lock).
Coughlin is not the only name this happened to. McLaughlin (mick-loff-lin) is McLaughlan(Mack-Lock-Lan)in Ireland.
More recently, my cousins from West Cork who moved to Cork city simply gave up trying to correct the Collin pronunciation because it was like paddling against the tide. I suspect the same thing happened to Coughlan's (Cock-lan) who came here a century ago. Everybody from teachers to government officials to neighbors called them Coughlin (coff-lin) and they just gave up. It just wasn't important enough for them to wage a futile fight against overwhelming odds. That's certainly my family's story. My father knew his name was Coughlan (cock-lan) and told me that many times when I was young but all his official American documents were spelled Coughlin and everybody called him coff-lin so he didn't fight it.
As another commenter wrote: "It's been the dreaded Coff-lin for over a hundred years!'. I think we’re stuck with it. Just keep telling your children the truth, ala Alex Haley in Roots and be thankful that we're not Eastern Europeans who suffered far worse Anglicizations.

Mark

View from the North Coast said...

In Cleveland, Ohio, you mostly hear /COG-lin/ as the pronunciation. I've never heard /COFF-lin/ here. My Quinn cousins pronounce it /COCK-lin/, the way my grandfather and Dad pronounced it (their grandmother was Angie Coughlin Quinn).

Teresa said...

I have another take on the pronunciation. My Coughlan ancestor arrived in the U.S. between 1765 and 1798 and seems to have been known to everyone as "Coffman." I assumed German-speaking Pennsylvanians heard Kauffman when he said it, but that presumes he was *saying* COFF-lan.

Misty Musings said...

I found your blog tonight (Easter Sunday, no less!) subsequent to having a disagreement with my sister Margaret over the pronunciation of this Gaelic surname. She insisted it was pronounced as Coff-lin and I opined it was pronounced as Cog-lin. I will surely share your pertinent info with her; thanks!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the excellent research, including the fieldwork in Ireland. My entire family is squarely in the /Cog-lin/ camp, no questions asked (or allowed). We started off in Western New York with my grandfather having immigrated from Quebec. (Quebec was the cheapest destination from Ireland to the New World. See http://www.irish-genealogy-toolkit.com/coffin-ships.html for a description of the "coffin shios"). He married a woman of French extraction named Auger. My father, no more than half Irish, married a full blooded Hungarian. So here I am with the Coughlin name but only 25 percent Irish ancestry, more Hungarian than anything else.

The worst mispronunciation of Coughlin I occasionally hear from telemarketers and semi-literates sounds like /Cool-in/.

jim2004x said...

There doesn’t seem to be any rule how to pronounce gh in Irish names. In Coughlin the u and h are silent in Monaghan the g is silent and in Hughes the gh is silent.

View from the North Coast said...


The "gh" in Irish names: My understanding is that a lot of times the "gh" in Irish names is the common way that Irish spelling was transliterated to English spelling, replacing the Irish "ch." So the Irish spelling "loch" (lake) might be spelled "lough." In that spelling you'll notice that Irish "o" is often transliterated "ou" in English. In Irish my name could be spelled "Cochlán" or "Ó Cochláin." That usually becomes "Coughlin" or "Coughlan" or some variation of that in English.

Another strange thing: originally there was no "h" in Irish. Originally it was a dot over a consonant.

Unknown said...

Hello this information is intriguing I’m so glad I found this blog. My grandfathers name Francis Coughlin from Binghamton NY told my father James Coughlin, Philadelphia Pa, that our people changed the spelling of our last name when they came to America as to sound less Irish. They pronounced it Cog-Lin. My grandfathers family emigrated from Cork. In July this year I visited Cork. The cab driver at the airport taking us to our hotel ironically was named Coughlan. I’ve never met a Coughlin before and he said it is quite common in Cork. Also he stated the last name pronunciation if in Ireland is Collins because there is no gh in the Gallic language so that if in America it is Coughlan (pronounced Cock-lan) if Catholic and Coughlin (pronounced Cock-Lin) if not. I’m known as Susan Coughlin (Cog-Lin) but now more at home with the last name Collin! I plan to return to Ireland next year with my children. I was amazed at the similarities in my appearance to the people we met. Most warm kind nature in general in a beautiful Country . I’m just beginning my quest to learn more Coughlin heritage!

Unknown said...

Hello this information is intriguing I’m so glad I found this blog. My grandfathers name Francis Coughlin from Binghamton NY told my father James Coughlin, Philadelphia Pa, that our people changed the spelling of our last name when they came to America as to sound less Irish. They pronounced it Cog-Lin. My grandfathers family emigrated from Cork. In July this year I visited Cork. The cab driver at the airport taking us to our hotel ironically was named Coughlan. I’ve never met a Coughlin before and he said it is quite common in Cork. Also he stated the last name pronunciation if in Ireland is Collins because there is no gh in the Gallic language so that if in America it is Coughlan (pronounced Cock-lan) if Catholic and Coughlin (pronounced Cock-Lin) if not. I’m known as Susan Coughlin (Cog-Lin) but now more at home with the last name Collin! I plan to return to Ireland next year with my children. I was amazed at the similarities in my appearance to the people we met. Most warm kind nature in general in a beautiful Country . I’m just beginning my quest to learn more Coughlin heritage!

Thoughts from CA said...

So grateful for your blog!! I have struggled with the variations of Coughlin in doing my own research. This explains the numbers of spelling changes with this name in my tree plus what I have seen the internet. My Canadian Coughlin family split with the new branch calling themselves "Collins". I could not figure out why the family did this exactly, but now I can see the spelling change lined up to the "Cawlin" pronunciation. My Collins family ended up connected to my US southern roots. You have really cleared up a challenging surname changes and I have some of the other variations in my tree as well....some you haven't mentioned. Thank you also to all the commenters who helped clear up my understanding of Coughlin and sharing their personal experiences with this name I believe that these ancestral families were just trying to blend in the New World and have a surname that could be pronounced correctly. Thanks to all of you!!