Thursday, October 9, 2008

Happy Birthday, Juju!

Today marks the 26th birthday of our oldest daughter, Julia. She was born at Central Baptist Hospital, Lexington, Kentucky, some time around 8:30 AM on a rainy early fall day. We had driven some forty miles from Berea to Lexington in the middle of the night, Linda in fairly heavy labor. I remember driving over the Kentucky River bridge, Linda having a contraction, the fog covering the highway. Linda did her Lamaze breathing while I decided all I could do was to pay attention to the road and get us safely to the hospital!

Dr. O'Neill was the obstetrician, and what amazed me was his calmness throughout the whole labor and birthing process. I think at one point he was sitting on Linda's bed talking about skiing. I was in full-panic mode, and Dr. O'Neill's wonderful demeanor calmed me (and maybe Linda) down. This was a natural childbirth, no anaesthetics, and Julia was born as I stood at Linda's head (and I might add--proudly--I didn't faint). Julia was in some distress at birth, having aspirated some meconium. But the doctor and nurses aspirated her lungs and brought her back to Linda--and she was OK.

I remember holding her at birth and looking at her dark, intense eyes. She seemed to look right back at me. I should have known: this was going to be a competitor, a person who could focus and concentrate on the tasks ahead--a smart kid with a powerful will. That was the potential and that's what she has become. What a kid! What an adult! Happy Birthday, Julia!

Postscript: When we brought Julia home, we were met by Linda's brother Steve Sanders, who seemed as happy as we were. We have always been grateful for Steve's help and support. There was also an odd natural sign there to greet us: a beautiful fall crocus, purple in color, had bloomed in the garden. This struck us as a miraculous sign, a good omen.

No comments: