Monday, June 2, 2008

Clare Weinkam, Briana, and Manuel Susarret: Stroke Recovery

A couple days ago, I talked to my old friend Clare Weinkam. She, her husband Manuel Susarret, their other children, family members, and friends have been coping with a tremendously difficult situation: Clare and Manuel's daughter Briana suffered a severe stroke last fall, caused principally by an injury she suffered in a traffic accident. To save Briana's life, surgeons had to remove much of the right hemisphere of her brain. Luckily, most of Briana's language and thinking capabilities were preserved, but she lost a great deal of control over the left side of her body and other subtle functions. Clare and her family have been in a heroic struggle to help Briana with all kinds of therapy: physical, psychological, and emotional. It has become a full-time job for Clare. The details of the rehabilitation process boggle my mind and would test anyone's will and strength.

You never know where life will take you. It has taken Clare to many unexpected places and through many difficulties. She, Manuel, Briana, and all their family and friends have our prayers and best wishes.

I first met Clare in 1972 in Cincinnati. At age 18, she was the most beautiful girl I had ever seen. At the time I was totally smitten. After all these years, I still have great affection and respect for this amazing woman. God help her in her work with her daughter Briana.

1 comment:

kavon169 said...

Hi:
My name is Joe Novak and Briana and I have been friends for over 10 years. We'd kept in touch even after she'd moved back to Cinny and even after her stroke. It's been months since her and I have spoken and our last conversation was about a week before she was going in for a pretty major follow up surgery (I believe in late Jan. or early Feb. She was supposed to call me afterwards to let me know she was OK. That's the last I've heard from her and her phone was disconnected not too long thereafter. Would you please either email me at kavon169@roadrunner.com and let me know how she's doing? Or, if you're able, pass along this message to her (or a family member) and have her/someone get in touch? My phone number is (216) 559-7646. Her and I have been great friends for many years and I'm very worried about her and would at least like to know she's OK. Thank you in advance for any help you can provide with information &/or helping me get in touch with her. Joe