Friday, March 14, 2008

American-Irish: What Does It Mean To Be?

St. Patrick's Day is coming in a few days, and it's interesting to reflect on what it means to be Irish (or Irish-American). If you go by how many Americans claim Irish heritage, you begin to think that Irish blood is very powerful indeed! You apparently can claim to be Irish if you only have a small percentage of Irish DNA; it's almost like being an African-American. One drop and you qualify! I'd like to take it even further than that: If you want to claim to be Irish (or Jewish, Indian, Black), then that's enough for me! Science has certainly shown that all humans are very very closely and recently related. The surface accidents of race have been shown by science to be no big deal. I'm Black and I'm proud! I'm a Jew and I'm proud! I'm Irish and I'm proud! I'm an Indian and I'm proud! That's good enough for me.

Is there anything special, anything unique about being an Irish-American? [more on this later]


Maggie Brock sent me an interesting article on the "True Irish"; the article appeared recently in the New York Times. Click on this link to see the article: http://egan.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/03/12/true-irish/

No comments: