Friday, February 29, 2008

Leap Year: How About July 32nd?

Last night my wife Linda asked me, "Whose bright idea was it to add an extra day to February in Leap Year?" We decided that if we were in charge of the calendar, we'd add that day in June, July, or August. Who would mind if there were a July 32nd? Not me! I'd have an extra day to swim at Mentor Headlands beach, to sail my boat off Fairport Harbor, to watch the Indians play ball at the Jake, or just to watch the sun go down over Lake Erie at Sims Park in Euclid.

In my mind, March 1st marks the beginning of the spring season (of course, this March 1st will be greeted with one to two feet of snow on the ground!). Adding a day to February seems cruel, unusual, and perverse. This must have been the work of New Zealanders, those upside-down people who celebrate summer during the winter!

Come on, Spring! We're waiting for your arrival!

No comments: